Sunday, January 30, 2011

Training Weekend

We went to the arena yesterday to train.  There were some dogs there that neither Max or Rylie knew so it was a good distraction.  We got in some good distance work.  Max is still having issues with the teeter - and with the car for that matter.  I do have a plan around that.  I bought a pound of stewing beef separated it into small packages.  I know he loves beef so I'm going to reward him like crazy when he bangs the teeter and gets in the car.  You have to know that I love my dog a lot because the thought of touching raw meat gives me the heebie jeebies.  I do most of my cooking without ever touching the raw meat with my hands!  He's such a good boy - and the way to his heart is definitely through his stomach.  I just have to be patient and not rush him.

Rylie was amazing!  I wish I had a video camera.  When he does the weaves he throws up such a cloud of dust behind him that I think I should rename him Pigpen!  He was great at the distance work and every bit as good as Max at following my body signals.  He got really annoyed when Max was stressing over the teeter because he wanted to show him how to do it!

Today we went to the dog park in our nearest city.  I love this dog park.  I don't want to jinx us but we've never had an issue there.  All of the dogs appear to be with someone (as opposed to some parks where dogs have followed us around and been annoying to my guys without me ever being able to identify who they were with).  Max is Mr. Social and feels the need to say hello to pretty much every dog.  Rylie has a strong preference for black dogs.  I had to call Max out of one scrum of three much larger dogs play wrestling because I was pretty sure he was going to get squashed by accident.

All in all it was a good weekend.

No comments: