Saturday, September 10, 2011

Joint Supplements

I have been giving my guys Sasha's Blend joint supplement since I took Max to Say Yes puppy camp when he was about 15 months old.  I will confess that my reason for using it was very unscientific.  Susan Garrett uses it for her dogs from the time they are puppies.  Even though my vet felt there was no evidence that using a supplement preventatively will do any good he also didn't think it would do any harm.  I ask my dogs to do a lot of jumping and I want to keep them them healthy.  I use this instead of the glucosamine chondroitin that I had been giving them.  Of course it seemed only fair to give it to Mindy as well (she was 11 1/2 and although she didn't show any symptoms of stiffness or pain I figured it wouldn't hurt).  When I ran out of the first batch I didn't reorder right away.  What I noticed was that Mindy was a bit slower to get up out of bed and didn't move with quite as much pep.  That sold me on using the Sasha's blend and I've used it ever since.

About a year ago I complained to my chiropractor of having a sore big toe.  He told me I was probably of an age that taking a glucosamine supplement would be helpful (and yes he said it exactly like that - no beating around the bush from him!).  I did and I did find it helped.  One day when I was on the website to order my Sasha's blend I noticed the company made a human joint supplement.  I decided to live on the wild side and ordered some.  Within two weeks of taking the Joint XL the pain in my toe had totally disappeared and I was able to reduce the amount I took.    Of course with no pain I sometimes forget to take it ;-) and I get reminded soon enough of why I'm taking it in the first place.

1 comment:

Beyond the Dog Dish said...

Well with an endorsement like this and especially from the beautiful Mindy I will try it and let you know. Thanks!