Thursday, August 11, 2011

Bad Aura?

I seem to have a really bad bird aura lately.  A couple of weeks ago I was walking the dogs in the morning.  I saw this bump in the sidewalk.  It was a baby bird.  Not quite a hatchling but certainly not a fledgling.  The poor thing was just sitting there shaking.  I couldn't see a nest although I'm sure it fell or was pushed out of a nest in the tree.  There certainly wasn't a nest that I could reach.  Now I know you aren't supposed to try and put fledglings back in the nest but I'm not so sure what you should do in this situation.  I suppose it's natural selection.  My dogs wanted to say hello in the worst way but I figured the last thing this poor little guy needed was to be traumatized by monster dogs so we just walked on and left the poor guy sitting in the middle of the sidewalk.

I don't know if my lack of action brought me bad bird karma but last week when we got to agility class I spotted a dead bird stuck in the wire fencing.  I very gently disposed of it before the dogs noticed it.  Last night I was a bit early for class and was standing outside the field watching my trainer work with her two dogs.  Out of the corner of my eye I saw a flutter and then this little bird kind of skimmed the grass in front of me and did a face plant right in front of my feet. It's wings fluttered a couple of times and then it stopped moving.  I have NO idea where it came from - there were no trees for it to fall out of close by.  It seemed to be walking/running rather than flying but there was no doubt it was dead.  I think it may have had a broken neck but since the poor thing died right in front of me it was still warm so maybe the neck would be floppy anyway?

I just want to put it out there to whoever is in charge of bird karma that I actually like birds quite a lot and if I felt my intervention would have helped the first baby bird at all I would have picked it up.

I was going to google what it means to have birds dropping dead around you but I decided it can't be good and it might be one of those things I'd rather not know.

1 comment:

katie, Maizey and Magnus said...

Sometimes denial is the best course.LOL I hope there isn't some kind of bird vengeance happening though, that would be awful! I love birds, but decided they are too much work for me to keep as pets anymore. My last bird died in my hands and that was too traumatic for me. Hope your bird drama works itself out!